Thank you for signing up to receive my newsletter and updates. It is my goal to ensure you receive a monthly newsletter containing important city updates as well as upcoming events. You can also find me on Facebook for frequent notifications. I am always available to hear your comments, questions, concerns or complaints! You may reach me anytime at email@example.com or 623-222-1326.
One of my new favorite places in Surprise is Venue Taproom. They are a fantastic new restaurant located in the Uptown Alley Parking lot at Litchfield and Waddell roads. The menu is excellent, the staff is very friendly and the owner, Sam, is almost always on hand to make sure that you have a good experience. If you drop by, please say hello to Sam for me!
Player 1 Arcade had its grand opening Friday, February 19th. Go visit them for games and pinball and for a throwback to the 80s! They are located at Bell and Litchfield roads behind Buffalo Wild Wings. Check them out at www.p1arcade.com. Welcome to the City of Surprise!
FY 2022 Budget Kick-off
The fiscal year 2022 budget process began on February 2, with a presentation to Council at the Regular Council Meeting. The City of Surprise Finance Department will be giving a series of presentations at Council Work Sessions and Regular Meetings leading up to the proposed budget release in April. If you have not had a chance to watch the meetings, you can view the previous finance presentations at surpriseaz.gov/budget. The Final Budget adoption is scheduled for June 1, 2021. Fiscal year 2022 begins July 1, 2021.
Our staff is continuing to search for ways to reboot our recycling program here in Surprise. As you probably know by now, Recycling has hit roadblocks nationwide. One hurdle is finding manufacturers that will actually use recycled material. Without enough manufacturers using recycled plastics, much of the plastics that make it to a recycling facility are being routed to landfills.
You can help reduce the quantity of plastic heading to the landfill by reducing your consumption of single use plastics. Examples of single use plastics include water bottles and plastic grocery bags.
What’s Happening On That Lot?
- My Barbershop and My Nail Salon, 13983 West Waddell Road
- EOS Fitness Marley Park, 13632 N. Litchfield Road
- Goodyear Chiropractic, 15411 W. Waddell Road
- AZ Angels, Skyway Commons, 11470 N. Dysart Road
- Desert Builders, Skyway Commons, 11470 N. Dysart Road
- Central Garden & Pet (23,000 SF expansion), 12000 N. 132nd Avenue
- United Construction Group, 3 buildings/22,000SF, 13784 W. Desert Cove
- Boyer Bakery, 13681 N. Litchfield Road (tenant improvements)
- Self Storage Facility at Litchfield Road and Sweetwater Avenue
- 3 Minute Express Car Wash, Marley Park, 17043 West Waddell Road
- Etico Construction Group, NE corner of Solar Canyon Way and Desert Cove Road – Main Offices, Warehouse and Yard Space for Etico Construction – 3.24 acres
Surprise Day of Service
If you are looking for a way to help others, please consider helping out during the Surprise Day of Service on March 20, from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Projects will be located all throughout Surprise. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Larry Garcia at Larry.Garcia@surpriseaz.gov or call 623.222.1522.
Spring Break Camp Registration
The City of Surprise Parks and Recreation Department will be offering Spring Break Camp March 15-19, 2021 from 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. at Sierra Montana Recreation Center. Campers from kindergarten to 6th grades will enjoy arts and crafts, games, sports and more! To register, download a registration packet from surpriseaz.gov/recreation. Once the packet is complete, contact the Parks and Recreation office at 623.222.2000 to schedule a time to come in and register your child. For pricing and additional information, please visit surpriseaz.gov
Kansas City Royals and Texas Rangers Spring Training has begun! An updated schedule of games is available on SurpriseStadium.com. Fan safety is a top priority. The following health and safety protocols will be in place:
- Limited seating capacity of under 2,000 fans per game
- Physically-distanced seating pods
- Required face coverings, unless eating/drinking
- Reduced touch points (contactless ticketing, cashless transactions)
- New intensified cleaning protocols
For ticket information, please visit www.surprisestadium.com.
Greenway Road Closure
The Greenway Road improvement project will close down Greenway Road between Legacy Park and Northwest Ranch Parkway for two weeks starting 5 a.m. Saturday, Feb 27, to 5 a.m. Sunday, March 14.
- Motorists heading eastbound along Greenway Road from Loop 303 can expect a single lane until they reach the closure at Northwest Ranch Parkway, allowing access to be maintained to the business complex east of the Loop 303.
- Left turn movements will be maintained for drivers traveling east on Greenway Road to Northwest Ranch Parkway.
- Motorists driving south on Northwest Ranch Parkway will be able to make a right turn to go west on Greenway Road.
- Westbound traffic along Greenway Road will be reduced to a single lane beginning at Reems Road. Local traffic will be able to continue to the hard closure at Legacy Park Boulevard.
- Drivers traveling west on Greenway Road will be able to make the left turn to go south on Legacy Park Boulevard.
- Motorists traveling north on Legacy Park Boulevard will be able to turn right to go east on Greenway Road.
The Greenway Road improvement project will add two travel lanes and eliminate areas where multiple lanes merged into one lane, from approximately Cotton Lane to Sarival Avenue.
Community Resource Guide
The Community Resource Guide is a quick reference for anyone that may need assistance with food, shelter, homelessness, domestic violence, and many other local resources. An electronic version of this document is available at supriseaz.gov/HSCV.
Connect with District 6
Please check out my new District 6 Facebook page at Councilmember Chris Judd – Home | Facebook! Be sure to click the “follow” button to get District 6 news and updates.
Council Meetings and Agenda
The next regularly scheduled City Council Meeting will take place on Tuesday, March 16 at 6 p.m. Council meetings are currently closed to in-person attendance. To watch live, please visit www.surpriseaz.gov/surprisetv, or the Surprise City Gov Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cityofsurprise. Cox channel 11 and Century Link channel 8513 will also carry the meetings live. Public comment will be accepted by phone and email. Instructions for public comment will be included on each meeting agenda. Agendas are always posted online at a minimum of two days prior.
If you see something on the agenda that concerns you, please reach out before the meeting so I have time to address your concern. I may even ask your questions during the City Council presentation. The best way to reach me is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet and Greet
Please join me for my Monthly Meet and Greet on March 6 at 9 a.m. at Spencer’s Place, 15341 W. Waddell Road. Vice Mayor Patrick Duffy will also be joining me for this Community Meeting! In addition, I will be hosting a Meet and Greet on March 24 at 6 p.m. at Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, 14029 W. Waddell Road. I look forward to discussing the latest City issues and answering any questions you might have.
Due to COVID-19, there may be changes to my Meet and Greet schedule. Please check my webpage at https://d6.surpriseaz.gov/ for updates to my meeting schedule.